Thursday, February 7, 2013
GREEK MARTIAL ARTS AND GREEK MARTIAL ARTISTS
G.H.REES. has extensively emphasised the need to develop knowledge and skills of martial arts. I would say that this is so for at least three reasons: First, because martial arts training can help practitioners attain or sustain a better health level. Second, because martial arts can help a practitioner do better in a potential so-called street fight or real life against opponents such as muggers, burglars, etc, as unfortunately nowadays our life is under constant danger. Third, because of the imperative need to be as ready and as effective as possible against the Asian danger. I do not say that close combat fighting knowledge and skills can protect us from an air bombing or a nuclear attack, but obviously I was not referring to these cases.
For this matter, and because not all the readers are familiar with martial arts and martial artists, here's some useful links to the Greek martial art of Pangration and to internationally famous Greek martial artists:
- Interview with the 'Father of Modern Pangration', Jim Arvanitis:
- Website of the former K1 and Kickboxing champion, 'Iron' Mike Zambidis:
- Youtube channel of the Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) fighter, George Sotiropoulos.
- Youtube channel of the founder of the Jiu Jitsu Brotherhood community and first Roger Gracie's Jiu Jitsu black belt holder, Nicolas Gregoriades.
- Twitter of the MMA fighter and first Eddie Bravo's 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu black belt holder, Danny Prokopos: